The mission of the Department of Youth Development is to support the development of young people in Los Angeles County by coordinating and building capacity for a wide range of youth development services, opportunities, supports, and other care-first efforts with a goal of equitably reducing youth justice system involvement.
We envision a healthier, safer, and more caring world where all young people can connect with community resources that nurture their growth, wellbeing, and agency.
Our core values include innovation, collaboration, accountability, and youth & community centered transformation.
The Department of Youth Development launched in July 2022. The initial responsibilities of DYD include:
- Investing in regional youth development networks;
- Expanding community-based youth diversion and restorative practices;
- Enhancing care coordination for system-involved youth, including Credible Messenger mentorship and other reentry support;
- Advancing Los Angeles County’s Youth Justice Reimagined vision and care-first strategies;
- Centering youth and community expertise in collaborative innovation.